How to replace a ceiling light fixture may seem complicated at first. As with all electrical projects, you should not attempt them yourself unless you feel completely comfortable working with electricity and you understand the safest ways to connect electrical wires. If you don’t follow safety guidelines and use wire nuts for this project, you could put you and your family at risk for electrical fires. If you need help with replacing a light fixture, Rose Brothers & Son Electric will be happy to help.
How To Replace A Ceiling Light Fixture
Before you begin, stop and make sure all power to the light fixture is turned off at the circuit breaker. It is more than possible that other wires besides the 3 that you’ll be working with are close by. You can use a circuit tester to check for hot wires or just turn the power off to the entire house. Now your ready to begin the steps- how to replace a ceiling light fixture:
- Remove any light bulbs or light bulb covers that could break during the transition.
- Unscrew the bolts that hold the fixture base to the mounting strap or outlet box.
- Lower the fixture base and you should see 3 wires. The black wire is hot, the white wire neutral and the green wire is the ground. This is the basic wiring that is used, your house may use a different color for the hot wire or have no ground wire.
- Disconnect the wires from the old fixture base by removing wire nuts or electrical tape
- Connect the wires from the new fixture. Match up the wires with their corresponding wires in the outlet box. Use a wire nut.
- Raise and position the new light fixture. Screw the fixture base into the mounting strip or outlet box.
- Add light bulbs and any bulb covers
- Turn the power back on.
The Easiest Way to Install A Light Fixture
For most people, working with electricity and changing a light fixture in the ceiling is more hands on then they feel comfortable with. Your Northern Kentucky electrician can install a ceiling fixture. It is easy, safe and inexpensive. If you need help replacing a light fixture, call Rose Brothers & Sons Electric.