We often get calls from people wondering, “Why do sparks come out of my outlet?”. This is a common question many homeowners face. If you haven’t seen a spark coming from your outlet recently, you probably will soon enough. Why? Because an arc at the outlet is a common occurrence. Don’t get the idea that because it can happen often that it isn’t signally a problem though. Here’s why:
Why Your Outlet Sparks
Current goes through your house very quickly. Appliances and items you plug into your outlet draws the current out. If you unplug your appliance while it is still on, you can cause a spark. This can happen on appliances like your iron that don’t have an on/off switch but are turned on by turning the temperature knob up from zero. You can avoid this kind of spark by making sure the appliance is turned off before unplugging or plugging it in. When appliances are unplugged before turning them off, it causes the wires to get hot. This in turn can melt the insulation and cause a short circuit.
When Your Outlet Sparks Too Often
If you notice your outlet sparking often or sparking no matter what is plugged in, you should call your local electrician to examine the outlet. Don’t leave the question, “Why do sparks come out of my outlet?”, unanswered. If your outlet is older or if the insulation has melted, you could have a short circuit. This is a “hot” wire that could burn your house down. A professional electrician can make sure your outlet is safe and fix a short circuit. Like everything else in your home, your wiring can get old and worn out. Fixing the wiring when you notice a problem will protect you, your family and your belongings.
Why Do Sparks Come Out of My Outlet?
There are a few possible answers when you ask why sparks come out of an outlet. Any time you have a question about your electricity and especially when it involves a spark, you should call your electrician to have them check if something is wrong. Don’t spend time worrying about a problem when the fix is a phone call away. If you have trouble with a short circuit at your outlet or you notice sparks, call Rose Brothers and Sons Electric. We will be happy to help.