All posts tagged technology

Electrical Items You May Not Know Can Expire

expire

Have you ever reached for a container in the back of your refrigerator and been greeted with fuzzy, disturbingly grotesque mold? While this is a common occurrence for food products, many people are unaware that other household items, particularly those that run on electricity, can expire just as easily. At Rose Brothers & Sons Electric, serving all of Northern Kentucky and Cincinnati, we want to show you a few household items you may not know can expire, to help ensure the safety of you and your family.

Smoke Detectors

Both smoke and carbon monoxide detectors expire. With a usual working time of ten years, smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors should be replaced after this time. While many people believe that simply changing the batteries on their smoke and carbon monoxide detectors will keep them working, this is not the case. Smoke detectors are required to have printed expiration dates and it is important that you abide by these. The actual sensors start to malfunction after ten years and it is necessary that you buy new detectors to ensure your safety. Also, as a rule of thumb after purchasing a new home, have all the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors replaced.

Batteries

Batteries start to dissipate immediately after they are manufactured. It is important that you go by the expiration date on the battery box to ensure that your devices work properly. Battery expiration dates and length of life are also influenced by the size and style of the battery in question. Batteries kept in dry, room-temperature storage will last the longest.

Power Strips and Surge Protectors

Power strips and surge protectors can be incredibly dangerous if they are used outside of their warranty date. Because surge protectors and power strips are not required to have a written expiration date, using the warranty time is usually the best way to judge the anticipated date of expiration. If you use power strips and surge protectors after they are good you pose the risk of starting a fire in your home if the products are overworked. To ensure that this does not happen, pay attention to the warranty length, and buy new products if the product looks discolored near the outlets, begins to malfunction, or feel shot when in use. Always buy OSHA or UL rated power strips and surge protectors.

Located in Walton, Kentucky, Rose Brothers & Sons Inc. specializes in a variety of residential electrical services. With our team of certified professionals, we have maintained an NKEA license for over 20 years. In addition to this license, we have been a member of Angie’s List for many years and we are proud to have an A+ rating from the BBB. If you want to ensure that your home is as safe as possible when it comes to electrical issues, contact us today.

Top

What to Do After Getting Your Tech Wet

wet

Most of us have been through that scary moment in your life when your phone has gotten wet. But what are you to do if you dropped it in puddle after getting out of your car? At Rose Brothers & Sons INC. we know how important your phone is in your everyday life along with other technical items. We do not want you to suffer without having them handy. When you have wet technology, you have the potential to miss important phone calls, turn a report in late or also miss your alarm. None of those situations are idle so it’s crucial to know what to do.

Water isn’t always good.

Water, the building block of life. We all need water to survive but it’s not good for everything. Yes, drink water every day. Yes, water your plants when needed. But never ever sprinkle water on your technical items. We know you know that, but does your three year old? Probably not, so what do you do after you notice your wet technology? One of the most commonly known ways to rescue a wet phone is with a bag of rice. Before you begin, you want to remove your phone case it you have one and wipe the phone off with a towel or rag to get off as much water as possible. Then, if your phone is capable of opening, take it apart and remove the battery. After it’s apart, place the pieces in the bag of uncooked rice and leave them there overnight or at least a few hours. This method seeks to let the rice absorb the water in your wet cell phone so when you go to retrieve it your phone should turn back on.

A lot of people might be tempted to run a grab their hair dryer to blow dry their wet cell phone. Don’t! Doing so will damage your phone even more than the water. If you were to use a blow dryer, you are at a high risk for damaging your phone by frying the insides, literally.

When you get your cell phone wet, the very first thing most people do is check if it still works, or plug it into the wall to see it will still charge. This is also not a good idea. The main reason water ruins your cell phone is because your cell phone uses electricity. No matter how much water actually got on your phone, it is always safe to just leave it alone. Because when you think your phone is still okay, the water is slowly making its way to your circuit board. If you can put your phone down for one night or even better a few days, this can save your phone from being shorted and damaged.

Being a trusted electrical and construction company, we know how to fix and solve many problems and we want to teach our customers what they should do if any of your tech items get wet. We are Located in Walton, KY and are pleased to be serving Northern KY and Cincinnati.

Top
Page 1 of 1