All posts tagged repair

Electrical Safety and The Winter Holidays

 electrical safety 

As the holidays come into full swing, it is traditionally a festive and great time of the year with visits from friends and family. Unfortunately, statistics have shown that house fires and electrical accidents increase during this time. Don’t fret though! These electrical safety steps can be taken to reduce the chance of these accidents occurring in your home this season!

Electrical Safety Tips:

  • Space Heater Safety– As the temperature continues to drop during the winter season, space heaters may become a convenient source of heat in your home. However, if not used properly, they have a risk of fire and electrical shock. When buying your space heater, it is important to first read the instructions and warning labels carefully before using. Make sure to inspect your heater for any defects such as broken plugs or loose connections also. Only use your space heater when you are actually in the room in which it is in use. A critical element of space heaters is their placement; be sure to keep yours at least three feet away from anything that can burn and on a flat surface. Also, plug space heater directly into a wall outlet, not using an extension cord or power strip.
  • Holiday Cooking Safety– During this time of year, many families bond over food which means that the kitchen is used a lot during this season. Sadly, the kitchen is home to many accidents during this time as well. It is important to never leave your cooking equipment unattended when it is on. You can also prevent fires by ensuring that your stove is clean. It can also be helpful to relieve your cooking area of any towels, napkins, or anything that could catch fire.

 

  • Holiday Decorating  Electrical Safety– During this time of year, many decorate their homes for the holidays. While these decorations enhance this season, sadly, they also increase the change of fires and electrical accidents if not properly used. Before decorating, it can be helpful to be aware of where available electrical outlets are located and decorate accordingly. Do not overload outlets with too many decorations as it can overheat and cause a fire. It is also important to never connect more than three strands of lights together when decorating. Do not damage the cord’s insulation by leaving it in a location where it might be pinched. Always turn off your indoor and/or outdoor decorations before leaving or going to sleep.

 

Hopefully these tips help lower your risk of fire or electrical accidents this holiday season. However, if you have more questions, you can always reach out to Rose Brothers & Sons Inc. We have been serving Northern Kentucky, Cincinnati and the surrounding areas for over 45 years. If you find yourself in a risky situation, please do not hesitate to contact us for an emergency electrical repair!

 

Top
Page 1 of 1