All posts tagged homeowner tips

Keeping Your Pets Safe Around Electricity

pets

Your pet is a loved and well-cared for member of your family. Many pet owners go to lengths such as removing dangerous plants from their home and buying new storage and disposal items for their kitchens to keep their pets safe. While these are excellent pet safety tips that everyone should do, many pet owners overlook one of the biggest dangers in the home for their pets: electricity. Electrical cords, wires, and devices can be incredibly dangerous for pets and it is important that you take precautions before an incident occurs. Let Rose Brothers & Sons Electric, serving Northern Kentucky and Cincinnati, help you keep your animals safe around electricity with these few simple tips.

Cords and Cables

It is very easy to forget that cords and wires are lying about in and outside of your home. They are small, usually hidden behind something, and may only be moved once every week or so if that. Your pets might not see cords the same way. Because pets are naturally curious of their surroundings, they will stick their noses (and mouths) in any space they can fit. While cords do not pose a threat if they are touched, often times animals explore new things with their teeth and this can cause a major problem. Not only will your cords be ruined by chewing, your pets will likely sustain injuries and risk electrocution when they chew through live wires. Keep cords that are removable, like chargers for laptops and phones, put away in a drawer. Cords that sit on the floors should be secured against the wall or covered with electrical tape, and you should always pay attention when your pet is near that area. Exposed, live electrical wires that are outside your home should be covered properly to make sure that there is no risk for a dangerous incident.

Electrical Devices

Now that your cords are in a safe space away from your pet, your electrical device is also a concern. Again, because animals like to explore with their mouths, electrical devices are not safe from being a potential hazard. Keep your small electrical devices stored in areas where animals cannot reach, like drawers, separate rooms, or on surfaces that they cannot reach. These devices will not only be ruined by curious mouths, but your pets could be injured with their curiosity.

Ingestion

While the threat of electrocution and injury are scary enough, when your animal swallows wiring or pieces of an electrical device the problem can be even worse. While wiring will likely pass through your pet’s digestive system with ease, the electrocution from ingesting live wiring will leave sores or worse on the inside of your pet’s mouth and throat. These sores have the potential to become infected if they are not treated properly. In addition, the small pieces of electrical devices, like a cell phone or a e-reader, have a very high likelihood of being poisonous to your animals if they are ingested. If your pets swallow pieces of your electrical device it is incredibly important that you take them to a vet as fast as possible.

Rose Brothers & Sons Can Help

If you inspect your home for wires that could be potentially harmful to your pets and discover any potential hazards, Rose Brothers & Sons Electric can help. Whether you have exposed wiring, want to invest in wireless options for even more safety, or just want solutions to keep electrical wiring as safe as possible, Rose Brothers & Sons is who you need to call. Located in Walton, Kentucky, Rose Brothers & Sons Inc. specializes in a variety of residential electrical services. If you want to ensure your home is as safe as possible for your beloved pet, contact us today.

Top

Keeping Your Food Fresh During a Power Outage

power outage

With winter quickly approaching, it is important that you are prepared for the possibility of a power outage. Because winter storms can cause damage to power lines, it is not uncommon for homes to lose power during one of these storms. Because food is expensive, especially a full refrigerator and freezer’s worth, a power outage can end up costing you a lot of money when it comes time to replace all the food that you had. At Rose Brothers & Sons Electric of Walton, Kentucky, we want to give you a few tips on keeping your food fresh during a power outage to help you save money and time once your electricity returns.

Ahead of Time

Before your electricity goes out, there are a few things you should have prepared to ensure that you can keep your food fresh during a power outage. First, make sure you have coolers on hand. Many people keep coolers in their home, but if you don’t have one, you should invest in a few. Coolers last for years and having them on hand will always be a convenience. Second, ensure that you have proper working thermometers in your appliances. This will be necessary when you need to monitor the temperature of your refrigerator after a power outage. Third, know where you can buy dry ice. Many ice cream parlors, ice companies, and other large stores like Walmart and Safeway carry dry ice. Dry ice has a very short shelf-life and therefore you cannot just keep it on hand in your home. Fourth, consider investing in a standby generator for emergencies.

When Power is Lost

If a winter or bad rain storm hits and you do lose power, the first thing you should do to ensure the freshness of your food is keep your refrigerator and freezer shut for as long as possible. Opening and closing your refrigerator and freezer will only allow the cool air to escape and decrease the amount of time that you can keep your perishable items in the appliance. If kept shut, a refrigerator can keep a stable temperature for about 4 hours. Half-freezers will keep things cold for about 24 hours and a full freezer will keep things cold for about 48 hours. Second, go to one of the stores that you know sells dry ice and buy dry ice for coolers and for the refrigerator. Place this dry ice in your refrigerator and freezer to keep the temperature low for a longer amount of time. Third, place all frozen meat on a tray because as the meat thaws it will leak. Lastly, if the power is not returned within a few hours, you need to be monitoring the temperature in your refrigerator and then move things to a cooler when the temperature gets too low. Anything perishable, like meats and dairy products, kept above 40 °F for more than two hours will need to be discarded. To avoid this, move your refrigerated food to a cooler lined with dry ice and ice and use your thermometer to keep an eye on the temperature.

After Power is Restored

After the power in your home is restored, it is important that you check your food to ensure that it is still good. Look for ice crystals to ensure that frozen food is still good, and throw away any foods that have gained a strange odor or color. Anything that feels warm to the touch needs to be disposed of. For a more detailed chart on when to discard and keep food, click here.

If you have questions about generators, electrical damages to your home that may have caused a power outage, or need other electrical advice to prepare your home for power outages, contact Rose Brothers & Sons Electric today. Serving all of Northern Kentucky and Cincinnati, our team of experienced professionals can help you with a wide range of electrical needs.

Top
Page 1 of 1