Emergencies can occur in an instant, so it is in your best interest to know how to deal with them if a problem arises. Preparedness is your greatest asset in urgent situations. There are several common electrical emergencies that can occur.
When your house loses power, the first thing you should do is check to see if there is power in nearby homes and the streetlights. This will determine if it is a widespread electrical issue for your neighborhood or an isolated incident solely affecting your home. If the outage is only at your house, try to make it to your circuit breaker box if you can safely do so. The problem could have been caused by a breaker overload, so check to see if any have been tripped. To correct, you simply need to flip the breaker switch to the original position. If power is not restored, it is time to call your power company to notify them of the outage. While this problem can have a simple fix, most do not.
If you plug too many cords in a single area of your home and one is damaged, electrical sparks can result. The sparks can eventually cause a fire. If you notice sparking when plugging something into your outlets, remove the cord from it. You should refrain from using that outlet until you can have it evaluated by an electrician. Sparks can cause a dangerous situation for your family and home.
Bad wiring can lead to a serious electrical issue. This problem is more prevalent in older homes, as the wires can deteriorate as they age. Faulty wires can also cause a fire. To prevent problems with bad wiring, you should regularly have your wires inspected to ensure they stay in working condition. Any faulty wires should be immediately replaced, so your home maintains optimal electricity output.
Another frequent electrical emergency occurs due to appliance malfunctions. This can happen as result of leaving the appliance plugged in to a socket for an extended period of time or simply because the wiring has gone bad. If you believe that your appliance has stopped working due to a malfunction, it is best to call a professional electrician to service it. To prevent any damage to your stove, it is important to know how to handle a grease fire. If it is possible, simply cover the fire with a lid until the fire dies down. If there is not a lid around, throw baking soda on the fire until the flames are gone. Being able to quickly handle a fire will keep the wiring of your stove from sustaining damage.
At Rose Brothers & Sons Electric we are available 24 hours a day to repairs any electrical emergencies that arise. We are an electrical contractor available for residential, commercial, and industrial services for the greater Northern KY area. We don’t provide quick fixes but rather long-lasting results so the problem is entirely eliminated. We have a location in Walton, KY to deliver high-quality service to Cincinnati and Northern KY. Call us today.