Your pet is a loved and well-cared for member of your family. Many pet owners go to lengths such as removing dangerous plants from their home and buying new storage and disposal items for their kitchens to keep their pets safe. While these are excellent pet safety tips that everyone should do, many pet owners overlook one of the biggest dangers in the home for their pets: electricity. Electrical cords, wires, and devices can be incredibly dangerous for pets and it is important that you take precautions before an incident occurs. Let Rose Brothers & Sons Electric, serving Northern Kentucky and Cincinnati help you keep your animals safe around electricity with a few simple tips. And if we aren’t in your local area and you need help with your electrics then simply look up a local electrician by searching, for example, ‘Electrician Croydon.’
Cords and Cables
It is very easy to forget that cords and wires are lying about in and outside of your home. They are small, usually hidden behind something, and may only be moved once every week or so if that. Your pets might not see cords the same way. Because pets are naturally curious of their surroundings, they will stick their noses (and mouths) in any space they can fit. While cords do not pose a threat if they are touched, often times animals explore new things with their teeth and this can cause a major problem. Not only will your cords be ruined by chewing, your pets will likely sustain injuries and risk electrocution when they chew through live wires. Keep cords that are removable, like chargers for laptops and phones, put away in a drawer. Cords that sit on the floors should be secured against the wall or covered with electrical tape, and you should always pay attention when your pet is near that area. Exposed, live electrical wires that are outside your home should be covered properly to make sure that there is no risk for a dangerous incident.
Now that your cords are in a safe space away from your pet, your electrical device is also a concern. Again, because animals like to explore with their mouths, electrical devices are not safe from being a potential hazard. Keep your small electrical devices stored in areas where animals cannot reach, like drawers, separate rooms, or on surfaces that they cannot reach. These devices will not only be ruined by curious mouths, but your pets could be injured with their curiosity.
While the threat of electrocution and injury are scary enough, when your animal swallows wiring or pieces of an electrical device the problem can be even worse. While wiring will likely pass through your pet’s digestive system with ease, the electrocution from ingesting live wiring will leave sores or worse on the inside of your pet’s mouth and throat. These sores have the potential to become infected if they are not treated properly. In addition, the small pieces of electrical devices, like a cell phone or a e-reader, have a very high likelihood of being poisonous to your animals if they are ingested. If your pets swallow pieces of your electrical device it is incredibly important that you take them to a vet as fast as possible.
Rose Brothers & Sons Can Help
If you inspect your home for wires that could be potentially harmful to your pets and discover any potential hazards, Rose Brothers & Sons Electric can help. Whether you have exposed wiring, want to invest in wireless options for even more safety, or just want solutions to keep electrical wiring as safe as possible, Rose Brothers & Sons is who you need to call. Located in Walton, Kentucky, Rose Brothers & Sons Inc. specializes in a variety of residential electrical services. If you want to ensure your home is as safe as possible for your beloved pet, contact us today.