Winter is coming and according to weather reports, winter 2016 should be a cold one. If you’re like many homeowners in Northern Kentucky, you’re not looking forward to your first electric bill of the winter season. If heating your home is taking a toll on your utility budget, here are 6 ways to lower your electric bill this winter:
- Turn Your Thermostat Down 2 Degrees. You can save money on your electric bill by lowering your thermostat a few degrees and wearing a sweater. You can save more by turning it down even further when you’re sleeping.
- Only Run The Dishwasher When It’s Full – According to experts, you can not only save money on your electric bill when you run your dishwasher less often, but it also works better when it’s full. Using a dishwasher requires less water than doing them by hand too.
- Insulate Your Water Heater and plumbing pipes. Your water heater may work overtime in the winter if the water coming into the water heater is colder then usual. You can help by insulating the pipes leading to the water heater.
- Turn off Appliances Your Not Using. This is a hard one. It’s easy to leave things on standby until your ready to use them, but it’s important to remember that appliances, tvs and computers left on will use electricity.
- Maintain your appliances – Dryers with clogged vents use more energy. Make sure you clean your dryer vent and remove lint after each use. Also clean the coils around your refrigerator. Cleaner machines work more efficiently and can lower your electric bill.
- Seal and air leaks around windows and doors – Every year around fall, you should check all windows and doors for leaks. Caulking the leaks will save money on your heating and cooling bill. If you can see light around your doors, your heat is escaping causing your heater or furnace to work longer and harder.
We Can Help Lower Your Electric Bill!
Rose Brothers and Sons Electric can help you lower your electric bill. We offer inspections on your electric system to see areas that are costing you money or may be a problem waiting to happen. An inefficient electrical system can raise your electric bill, be a safety hazard and cost you more money in the long run. If you have questions about how you can lower your electric bill, call the experts at Rose Brothers & Sons Electric today!