Carbon Monoxide Detector Installation

Carbon Monoxide Detector Installation

Being able to detect carbon monoxide in your home is the best way to prevent this toxic gas from hurting you or your family. Contacting a qualified electrician in Northern Kentucky and Greater Cincinnati to install a carbon monoxide detector is the best way to ensure a working device. Luckily, Rose Brothers & Sons Electric, located in the Northern Kentucky and Greater Cincinnati area, can easily, efficiently, and inexpensively install a detector. In the meantime, here are some facts about carbon monoxide, its effects, and why a detector is crucial.

What Is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is not easily noticed. It is extremely dangerous to humans and animals. Being exposed to carbon monoxide in high concentrations or for a long period of time can lead to death. In fact, it has earned the name the “silent killer” because of our inability to see, smell, or taste the fumes before it is too late.

How Does Carbon Monoxide Get Into Your Home or Office?

Carbon Monoxide finds its way into our buildings via gas appliances, such as stoves, hot water heaters, furnaces, fireplaces, generators, and automobiles. If your equipment is not working properly, combustion will create carbon monoxide and, if undetected, can build to dangerous levels. If you own a home with an attached garage, never leave your car idling inside the garage. The fumes can enter your home and cause poisoning within minutes.

Important Legislation

Lawmakers recognize the dangers of carbon monoxide and have passed legislation to protect citizens from this toxic gas. Although regulations vary from state to state, most  require that buildings have at least one working detector. Some even require that hardwired or interconnected detectors be installed during construction. Lastly, if you recently purchased an older home, some laws require that a detector be installed before you move in. For more information, research your state’s legislation.

Installing Detectors

If it is not already required by law, you should seriously consider having a carbon monoxide detector installed in your home or office. This gas is very dangerous and the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning range from headaches to nausea to diminished brain function to death. Do not take a chance – keep you and your loved ones safe by having a detector professionally installed.
There are several options when it comes to detectors. Consider purchasing a hardwired detector that includes a back-up battery. This will still detect gas if the electricity goes out. If you home or office building has several levels, having interconnected detectors is the best option. These will alert every person on every level that carbon monoxide has been detected and that the building should be evacuated.

Contact Rose Brothers & Sons Electric for a quote today!

Top